Special Places



Email:
Password:

>> Return to full Baptiste Lake List <<


High Falls



Lat: 45.11825765371, Long:-77.916584014893

Significance

Landmark



The first dam was built in 1866 by Harris & Bronson, the first lumbering company to set up operations here. Those in Bancroft were always wary of the 12 foot wooden dam, holding back the entire lake. It was under constant surveillance, especially in the spring when the run-off would put extra stress on the structure and usually flooded Bancroft. In 1908 High Falls powered an electric light plant, a woolen mill, saw mill and grist mill.

Ironically when the dam was rebuilt in 1933, the original timbers were found to be sound, but the new concrete was poured during the frost season, and almost immediately found to be defective.

The Current dam was built in 1952. The effect of damming High Falls was to flood much of the shoreline, creating a much larger lake.

Sources for this information

PAR